If your son or daughter cannot receive dental care in a traditional dental office, our practice offers gentle and effective dental care to infants, children, and adolescents in the nurturing environment of our local hospitals.
As a pediatric practice in the area to offer this unique service, we have the distinctive ability to understand the specific needs of children who need dental care but cannot cooperate for safe dental treatment in the office. Through hospital dentistry, you can eliminate the struggles and trauma that can lead to a lifetime fear of dental treatment for your child.
Is hospital dentistry right for my child?
Pediatric hospital dentistry services are ideal for:
- Physically, emotionally, or developmentally challenged children who are unable to hold still for dental treatment
- Children who have a significant amount of decay that would require several in-office visits
- Children who have a severe gag reflex
- Children with complex medical conditions that make it unsafe to receive dental care in an office situation
- Children who have allergies to local anesthetics or experience difficulty achieving numbness
For these situations, the use of general anesthesia may be the best option for your family.
General anesthesia will put your child into a deep sleep. He or she will be unable to feel pain or move around. General anesthesia for dental procedures can be provided by an anesthesiologist.
These professionals are trained to deliver medication, monitor your child during the procedure, and handle any complications that may occur.
To prepare your child for general anesthesia, follow the guidelines given to you by the hospital regarding food and fluid intake before and after the procedure. Discuss the procedure with your child using simple terms that he or she can understand.
Let your child rest quietly at home after the procedure. He or she will probably be ready to resume a normal schedule the next day.